Two of the most important challenges society is facing are climate change and the supply of mineral raw materials.
Geothermal energy can play a significant role in the fight against climate change. It is a renewable and sustainable heat and electricity source that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Mineral raw materials are fundamental in our everyday lives. They are necessary to build and develop everything that surrounds us: from our homes to the technology that rests in our hands or the vehicles that transport us. Critical Raw Materials (CRM) are those which are economically and strategically important for our economies, but their supply is at risk.
The CRM-geothermal project is developing an innovative technology solution which combines the extraction of Critical Raw Materials and energy from geothermal fluids, contributing to both fighting climate change and securing the supply of mineral raw materials in Europe.
Within the framework of the CRM-geothermal project, the European Federation of Geologists (EFG) announces a video contest on geothermal and critical raw materials for 12-18 years old students in Europe.
We invite students to channel their creativity and passion into an up-to-2-minute-long video addressing the following subjects:
- The key role of geothermal in fighting climate change
- The importance of critical raw materials in your everyday life and/or
- The importance of mining in your area
Students can participate individually or as a team with their classmates. If participating as a team, each member of the team needs to fill in a statement of consent signed by their parent or legal representative.
- HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- HOW TO UPLOAD YOUR VIDEO
- TECHNICAL REQUIEREMENTS
- EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS FOR TEACHERS
- Fill in the entry form below.
- Upload your video file and a statement(s) of consent signed by your parent(s) or legal representative(s).
- There is no restriction on the technique.
The deadline to submit your video is 14 April 2024.
- You can upload your video and statement of consent by filling in the Application form below and submitting it.
- Name your video file as firstname_familyname_titleofyourvideo_CRMgeo
- Name your scanned statement signed by your parent or legal representative as firstname_familyname_titleofyourvideo_STATEMENT
The language of the video must be English, but you can also use your native language with subtitles.
There are no restrictions on the video format, but HD, H264, MP4 video are preferred. Your video can be maximum 2 minutes long with a file size less than 1 GB.
There will be a two-stage evaluation. In the first round a jury from the EFG narrows down the number of entries to the best movies (up to 10 movies). The public audience then selects the best three movies. Aspects of the assessment:
The best movies will be uploaded to the website of the CRM-geothermal project. Until 30 April, everybody will be able to vote for the best movie, three prizes will be awarded based on the votes of the audience.
First place: Gift card (200 EUR) + Table of periodic elements (with element samples inside) + Puzzle of the Earth
Second place: Gift card (150 EUR) + The Minerals Encyclopedia + Puzzle of the Earth
Third place: Gift card (100 EUR) + Puzzle of the Earth
One prize will be awarded to the three most voted videos in the second stage of the contest (public vote). Only one prize will be awarded per winner video, independently of the number of team members participating.
geothermal energy educational trail in CerknobEdPlease find a list of materials and resources to teach about mineral raw materials and geothermal in your class:
🇬🇧 In English (EN):
- Energy resources: Geothermal (American Geosciences Institute)
- Geothermal Heats Up (American Geosciences Institute)
- Earth Learning Idea – Innovative Earth-related teaching ideas and materials. Make a thematic search a find interesting materials (Earth Science Teachers’ Association):
- ENGIE Geoscience Methodology Course for Science Teachers: Free course for secondary school teachers. This course by experts includes modules on geothermal and minerals raw materials (ENGIE Project)
🇩🇪 In German (DE):
- Schulpaket Geothermie: Booklets with information and exercises addressing kids of different ages (German Bundesverband Geothermie)
- Umwelt im Unterricht: Ideas for teaching on environmental aspects (German Ministry of Environment)
🇪🇸 In Spanish (ES):
🇵🇹 In Portuguese (PT):
- Video about geothermal energy (LNEG)
- geoPortal: Geoscience information, including geothermal energy (LNEG)
- Didactic resources (Portal Energia)
- Geothermal and hydrogeology resources (DGEG)
- Publication Geothermal in Portugal (DGEG)
🇸🇮 In Slovenian (SL):
- Booklet about the geothermal energy educational trail in Cerkno (Slovenian Geological Society)
In Catalan (CAT):
- Basic concepts about geothermal energy, classification, types, and closed-loop vertical exchange systems (Clúster de l’Energia, Grup de Treball de Geotèrmia)
In different EU-languages (Check if it is available in yours!):
- The Briefcase of Mineral applications (Briefcase project)
- Step 1: Shoot and edit your 2-min video 📹
- Step 2: Download, fill in, sign, and scan the statement of consent 📝
- Step 3: Complete the application form below, upload your video and consent form. Important: If you are participating as a team, each member of the team needs to fill in a statement of consent signed by their parent or legal representative. Please compile all the statements of consent together in a unique file and upload it 👩💻⬆️☁️